Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Tail-less Chook

That's weird, we thought...where is her tail?
Oh there it is, just down in the pasture.  Thank goodness now we can glue it back on. No, but really I remembered earlier in the day hearing a skirmish in the lower pasture and the dogs tear down off the porch.  I figured they were going after ducks in the pond.  So when I went out in search of her tail feathers the first place I searched was in the direction that the dogs had run.  And I had to search no further.  I realized with the long trail of feathers that the dogs had saved her life.  And that most likely a coyote had her in his mouth when the dogs chased him down and dropped her.  Poor scared little KFC.  She's been hunkered down in the barn for the last three days.  Probably scared and definitely hurt.  I've been giving her medicine and  bringing her water and food so she doesn't have to leave her favorite roosting spot.  With spring and chick season coming up, I've come to the realization that to give my chooks the best life, they cannot have the lay of the land anymore.  They love it, but it's not worth the price they will have to pay.  Won't my husband be so happy when I ask him to help me build a huge six foot tall coyote-proof chicken run.  :)   
































































































2 comments:

  1. Hey Shannie! I know it was awful for the poor girl. Doing much better now but she stopped laying. How are your chickens doing?

    ReplyDelete