Monday, December 10, 2012

Homemade Mayo


From start to finish (gathering ingredients to a tidy kitchen) this will take less than five minutes!  Homemade mayonnaise is delicious and especially nice for recipes that call for a cup or two...the stuff is expensive!




Homemade Mayonnaise


1 whole egg
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I use my liquid measuring cup with a spout for easy pouring)


In a deep mixing container or bowl, add all ingredients except the last 3/4 cup oil.
Mix on low for 2 minutes.
Then, with mixer still running, slowly pour in the remaining 3/4 cup oil as a thin stream. (Pouring too quickly will cause your mayo to be runny.)
Continue mixing for a few more seconds, or until thickened; it doesn’t take long.
Dump mayo into a pint size mason jar and mark the date.  Mine stays great in the fridge for up to three weeks!

Makes 1 1/2 c. mayonnaise
.
I picked up this old mayonnaise maker at my favorite antique shop.  The ceramic crock is the perfect size, but I use an electric handheld mixer (in place of the hand crank) so that I can still be mixing while pouring in the oil.